'Good literacy floats on a sea of talk,' James Britton
Our aims for spoken Language
Our English Curriculum incorporates developing children's spoken language skills. At our school spoken language underpins the development of reading and writing.
We understand that the quality and variety of language that pupils hear and speak are vital for developing their vocabulary and grammar and their understanding for reading and writing. Teachers at Brimscombe ensure the continual development of pupils’ confidence and competence in spoken language and listening skills.
Through regular planned opportunities we support our children in being able to:
- Clearly explain their understanding and ideas to others
- Use discussion to probe and remedy misconceptions
- Making formal and informal presentations,
- Participate in debates
- Experiment with new and ambitious words
- Actively listen to others
- Understand 'register' and formal and informal spoken language