PE and Sports Premium
Our vision for sport and physical health
Physical Education at Brimscombe CE Primary School provides pupils with the skills, knowledge and understanding of various aspects of health, exercise, sport and well being to enable them to live a healthy life and enjoy physical exercise and sport.
Through Sport and PE we aim to:
- Help children to be physically fit and mentally alert in order to learn well
- Increase the children’s confidence and competence in a range of physical activities
- Enable them to understand the value of exercise as part of a healthy lifestyle
- To encourage positive attitudes such as sportsmanship, teamwork and fair play
- To develop self esteem and confidence
- Give the children opportunities to take part in extra-curricular PE activities
Currently at Brimscombe:
- All children receive their statutory entitlement to Physical Education lessons and take part in a minimum of 2 hours physical activity weekly
- We offer a range of extra-curricular sports’ clubs including boys’ and girls’ football; netball; tag rugby; unicycling; rounders and cricket. Some of these are held at lunchtime as well as after school so are accessible to all children, including the younger ones
- We regularly take part in local sports’ competitions, including tag rugby, football, kwik cricket, rounders and athletics
- We host cluster sports events for all age groups to build friendships with children from similar small schools as well as further develop participation in sports
- Physical exercise forms part of our 'Daily 10,' which is regular time spent on physical and mental wellbeing.
- Our oldest pupils are trained as Young Leaders and organise games and sporting activities for the younger children at playtimes
School Sports Premium: DFE Guidance
The government is currently providing additional ring-fenced funding of £150 million per annum, specifically for primary schools to use in order to improve provision of Physical Education (PE) and sport.
The DfE states that:
Schools must spend the additional funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
We are investing this money in a variety of ways to promote sport and physical activity across the school. You can download a detailed breakdown of how the funding has been used and how it is being planned below.